Why Intentional Communities
Why Intentional Community - Episode 15 Show Notes
Round 1 : PDC & ATC is over!
0:53 - Paul’s list
1:09 - It all started with the Kickstarter
2:54 - PDC & ATC video are available
Round 2: An interesting story from Fred
3:34 - Fred the property manager?
4:19 - Fred works for a PDC at Paul’s
5:49 -The status of the community
6:42 - Record a podcast with Paul
Round 3: Building relationships
8:38 - Why do we give a shit about community?
8:59 - Housemates
9:36 - Permaculture replacing petroleum with people
10:00 - Dating & marriage
Round 4: Designing community
10:36 - Current models of community
11:57 - Anonymous asks; Are people potentially more combustible than petroleum?
13:27 - Josiah’s big black book plug
14:43 - Sharing a very precise goal
15:44 - Set a metric for “fail”
17:12 - Magic #2
Round 5: Benefits of community
18:07 - Get community to work
18:40 - Social interaction
20:50 - Security & raising family
22:00 - Neighborhood Connections
23:01 - Highly intelligent people in social situations
24:02 - Reducing expenditures
Round 6: Paul’s “big click” - 26:24
Round 7: Security and comfort
29:04 - Thinking safety
29:31 - “A good system is an extremely diverse system”
30:46 - Security means comfort and confidence
31:59 - Idea of comfort
33:17 - A horrible divorce
33:58 - Spiritual requirements
34:30 - 90% failing is a good thing
Round 8: Diversity of skills - 35:53
37:00 - When the carpenter arrives
37:57 - So-called “experts”
39:02 - “Fred’s a dumb-fuck”
39:44 - A visitor’s perspective
Round 9: Moving things forward with communication
40:23 - Communicating with dickishness
42:25 - Negotiation or persuasion
43:35 - Hostility driving a consensus system
45:30 - Experimenting to solve the community puzzle
Round 10: All here, the whole time - 45:56
46:33 - PDC full scramble
47:14 - Paul’s PDC format
48:00 - Wonderful, beautiful things from the PDC
49:03 - Awesome artifacts from the ATC
Round 11: Perspective
50:44 - Josiah the spectator
51:36 - Resident Fred
52:40 - 3x more than what Sepp Holzer’s done
54:17 - Ant village, deep roots, boot camp
54:45 White people meet Pocahontas
55:46 - Re-husp, rediscover
57:16 - Paul needs it to exist!
Round 12: Coming soon on Permaculture Smackdown - 58:26
58:40 - Fred’s going to the moon
Round 13: Answering Roger Austin’s long question - 1:00:05
1:01:05 - https://permies.com/c/10
1:01:35 - Success at Damanhur, Findhorn, Songaia
1:04:44 - Central leadership & spirituality
1:06:19 - Experimenting with people’s lives
1:07:10 - Cost of leaving a community
1:09:43 - Persuading the abbot
1:11:46 - Sacrifice for the future of permaculture
1:13:13 - Starving
Support Permaculture Smackdown
There are five simple ways you can keep the show going and help us grow.
- 1. Newsletter
- 2. Share episode
- 3. subscribe
- 4. testify
- Join our newsletter to get special offers and updates on new shows and episodes on PETV
- Share this episode with your friends.
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Permaculture Smackdown Subscription
- Keep the great content going! Permaculture Smackdown costs about $250 a week to produce. Your support keeps us going.
- Insider Access: You will gain direct access to Paul Wheaton and Josiah Wallingford. You can ask questions and get a direct response by either a comment or video reply.
- Discounts: Subscribers also get access to specials and discounts as well as first dibs on special product launches and courses announced in the show.
- Sponsor Discounts: We will be adding a ton of sponsors to the show who will provide subscribers with special discounts to their products.
The show is filmed in front of a live participating audience and then published to the PermaEthos YouTube channel.
So, why would you pay for a subscription? Here are some reasons:
- Leave a testimonial we can share with the world.