Ducks for Fun, Profit and Land Development – Jack Spirko
Ducks for Fun, Profit and Land Development
Move over chickens it is time for a new bird to take the lead. Well, perhaps not the lead but definitely a better seat at the table. Three years ago well-known speaker and Podcaster Jack Spirko, along with his wife Dorothy decided to step into farming for profit, and Nine Mile Farm was born. Initially focusing on chickens for farm fresh pastured eggs and meat they also kept a small flock of ducks just for fun. They soon stumbled into a new and growing niche, pastured local duck eggs.
It took a bit of effort to get their customers to try duck eggs but once they did the next decision was simple, out with the chickens and ramp up the ducks. Rather than fight with over a hundred local producers to sell chicken eggs for 5-6 dollars a dozen the couple now stays constantly sold out selling duck eggs at 8 dollars a dozen. With about 50% of their sales going to high-end restaurants and farm to table markets (Ida Clair, Cadillac Ranch, Ellerbe Fine Foods, Farm to Fork Foods) and their other 50% going to direct to consumer sales.
In his presentation, Jack will cover how to build up a flock fast and build a customer base just as quickly. He will also discuss the importance of looking like a professional farm in web presence, social media and even a dedicated phone number in gaining customers. Jack will be discussing the top breeds for profit, why he doesn’t even think about “meat ducks” and how to use a single specialized product such as this to build a multiple product offering, while only needing to build a customer base once.
Additionally, in this presentation, you will learn some of the amazing reasons farming ducks for eggs makes more sense for many small land owners then chickens. These include; less competition, higher profits, breeds that outlay chickens, a herdable and trainable flock, greater suitability for brittle land and more.
- Ducks represent and underrated niche market
- Ducks are perfectly suited to the part time farmer
- Ducks can help you build a customer base for other product sales
- Ducks are soft on land when properly rotated and improve brittle land
In this presentation, you will learn…
- How to inexpensively build a customer base
- The right breeds for profitability
- How to easily set up rotational grazing with ducks
- Low-tech water solutions that spread fertility
- How to get 100% of your customers to come to you
- How to work a list if you ever have a surplus of eggs
- Management practices that produce a superior product
- How to make your cull ducks worth more than a so-called “meat duck”
The Duck Chronicles Mini-Series
Questions and Answers Session
Support PETV Presentations
There are five simple ways you can keep the show going and help us grow.
- 1. Newsletter
- 2. Share episode
- 3. subscribe
- 4. testify
- 5. presenter
- Join our newsletter to get special offers and updates on new shows and episodes on PETV
- Share this episode with your friends.
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel
PETV Presentations Subscription
For only $0.60 an episode you can help us out and get the following benefits!
- Keep a great thing going. It costs about $250 to do each episode. Your subscription allows us to continue to provide great presenters and information.
- Access to the Presenters. We strive to get very talented presenters. These are professionals with very busy lives and as a subscriber you get access to these presenters with whatever questions you have for them. The presenters will respond either via a comment reply or a video response.
- Compilation of Additional Material. Many of the presentations include additional information including videos, documentation and discounts to products and services. Your subscription gives you direct access to the compilation of all of this in one spot.
- Sponsorship Discounts. We have started accepting sponsors of the show. They provide special discounts to their products for our show subscribers.
- Leave a testimonial we can share with the world.
- Were always looking for new presenters. If you think you could put on a great presentation or know someone who could, let us know!
Become a Presenter
Have you been working on a great project you want to share with the world? Do you possess a ton of knowledge in a permaculture, gardening, farming or related topic? We want you on the show!